1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing 1990 Ram with 318

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Steady Eddie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Timing 1990 Ram with 318

Hi,

Have taken the timing cover off of my Ram (as it was continuing to run rough) and the timing chain is extremely slack. Some of the links on the chain were actually hanging off of the crank sproket it was so worn. I think that this could have been causing a lot of the problem with the rough running? Tomorrow i am going to replaice the timing chain and spockets (a duplex kit)...My problem is that when I have the crank cog timing marker at 12 o clock and the cam marker at 6 o clock (which I think is correct) the num 1 cylinder is at the top of its stroke (which i also think is correct) but the rotor arm appears to be pointing at the num 6 cylinder lead? I am really basic at mechanics....but are trying to learn (its never too late for an old dog to learn new tricks!). Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how I must set it up. I will set the cogs up at the 12 and 6 marks and check that num cylinder is at the top of its stroke.....but what on eart do I do with the distributor. I take it that the little metal bit at the end of the rotor arm is the front of the arm? this is what is pointing at the 6 cylinder lead (i think it should be pointing at number 1 lead)
Sorry for my rambling and hopefully someone knows what on earth i am talking about
Thanks Eddie.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

your crank turns twice for every 1 rotation of your cam.

Quick Reply: Timing 1990 Ram with 318