1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 PM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans fluid leak

Ok, so I work at a scrap yard and an 83 1/2 ton w/ 318, auto, 2wd has come in as scrap. I got her running, but the trans slipped and it needs a water pump. I can get a water pump off another scrap truck and put on it, so I'm on the lookout for one. I added trans fluid and it shifted out pretty well, but it's leaking fluid fairly bad. It looks like its leaking at the linkage above the pan on the drivers side. Is this the gear shift linkage or kickdown linkage? Haven't had time to look much, just put a coil on it and got it running again today after work. Will I be able to buy and replace whatever gasket that has failed on the linkage without removing the trans? Will I have to drop the pan to replace gasket or what? Any trans guys out there have input? Thanks much. Trying not to spend much money on it, just tinkering right now with junk yard parts to see if the truck is worth buying. Motor runs strong, though, once I plugged some of the numerous vacuum leaks. Durn thing was like a dyson when I first started it.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 AM
aje1127
Veteran

there is a seal pressed in around the shift shaft,you need a special tool for this.any auto part store should have it,i have it under KD TOOL#2392.
it is is for that seal on all mopar automatics.
hope this helps,good luck

Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 AM
DevilDogge
Professional

Well I just found out mine is leaking as well... is this a fairly easy job to complete? Do you pop it out from the outside, or would I have to take the pan off (I REALLY REALLY don't want to take the pan off again)?

Quick Reply: trans fluid leak