1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Starting Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM
map7660
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Starting Problem!

Every now and then, I am having a problem with my truck starting. I have a 1991 Dodge D-150, with a V-8, 318 cu in, 5.2L. The starter just turns the motor over and over, but it will not crank. Sometimes, I can turn the key off and let it reset. Then turn the key back on and it will crank. Other times, I have to spray a little starting fluid into the air cleaner and you will hear a little pinging and it will crank right up. Just wondering if it may be the fuel pump relay. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

from the sounds of it is not the fuel relay it will fire up the second try or if you spray starting fluid into the air cleaner. it sound like you just have to prime the fuel system before you start the truck(key on, off, on, off, on).

Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 PM
lets_baja
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about fuel pressure regulator..had the same problem with my truck..it take the fuel pump two tries to get the proper fuel presure to the engine

Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you first turn the key on, do you here the fuel pump running? If it runs it is not the relay. When was the fuel filter last changed?

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting Problem!