1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

long vs. shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Dodgeman707
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long vs. shorty headers

What's the best advantage disadvantage of each one hp or tq wise

Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM
96NeonJunk
Rookie

if i'm right the long tubes give you more low end hp/tq...not sure really the point of shortys unless it "fitment" issues like some rat rods, etc. I personally have long tubes on my big block, notice some differnece over my stock center dumps, less hesitation and seems to flow better. Long tubes are worth the money in my book. Maybe some one else can chime in?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Dodgeman707
Rookie

Its a 91 w150 318 auto its not so much of a street ripper but I am looking for a little more grunt for my rig and plus I got an exhaust fix it ticket so I might as well get some headers while I'm at it lol

Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
96NeonJunk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgeman707
Its a 91 w150 318 auto its not so much of a street ripper but I am looking for a little more grunt for my rig and plus I got an exhaust fix it ticket so I might as well get some headers while I'm at it lol

Long tubes most of the time you would have to modify the exhaust where it y's under the truck, but headers long style style would help with pulling power and give it lil more grunt, 10-15hp maybe? I know the 318's weren't the most powerful mopar small block out there, definitely would help get things flowing well. Shorty headers would be more of a direct bolt on to you factory exhaust. u benefit more from long tubes...i'm pretty sure jegs high performance & summit racing have tons for mopar small block headers for our trucks. theres the ultra expensive ones and the flowtech cheaper ones. Check it out. it would help get some grunt that your looking for. and truck would sound nicer more like a V8 then a V6.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The longer the tubes, the better the scavenging. Long tubes would give better HP and TQ gains, but may move the torque curve up a little, so the "feeling" sometimes is that shorties yield better TQ as the curve begins a bit lower in the rpm band.

Largest advantages of shorties is that they do not require moving of the stock cats, installation is easier and they are often CARB certified, meaning you'd pass smog inspection.

Biggest advantage of Long Tubes is performance...

Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Dodgeman707
Rookie

Since were talking about exhaust i love the sound of old v8s with flowmasters but since I have tbi is it gonna sound any different then a carbd truck

Quick Reply: long vs. shorty headers