1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

missing parking brake strut

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Default missing parking brake strut

i was replacing the wheel cylinders and park brake cables today and after thinking i had everything back together and working i realized the park brake strut and spring are missing. my dad and uncle where telling me that i need to an old axle with the same bolt pattern to get the parking brake strut from but i don't think the axle needs the same bolt pattern. i was thinking about trying to borrowing the parking brake strut off my 91 but i would hate to tear apart the brakes on one truck if the parts will not fit. i was wondering if anyone know if the parking brake strut from a 91 or any older dodge ram with the same type of park brake would work?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our trucks used two types of brakes, the Chrysler 11" brakes on the 100/150 series and Bendix 12" brakes on the 250/350. If both trucks have the same size brakes the strut should be the same. I am not absolutely positive but I don't think the Bendix 12" even uses a strut.

Last edited by SEAL; 11-04-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

thanks SEAL. that info help a lot. i figured they should work because they have a lot of brake part numbers in common. they even use the same brake shoes.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the park brake strut from my 91 would not fit. it was too long. the ones i picked up at the junk yard were also too long. it would have fit my 91 but not the 81. i ended up cutting and welding the one that i got from the junk yard to the size i needed. now i have park brakes.

Quick Reply: missing parking brake strut