1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 bulldog gears out of align

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM
vickers01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 bulldog gears out of align

i had to pull the tranny on a 1980 w200 and to gain more clearance for the tranny to drop i took off the shifter, so while pulling the tranny i pulled on one of the shafts too hard and knocked the gears out of alignment and now the shifter wont go back on if anyone has a picture or anything that would help i would appericate it

Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 AM
vickers01

i was able to get the shifter back on but im not sure if everything is alright for all the gears to work does anyone know where the forks coming from the shifter is supposed to line up withto have all gears

Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what transmission you have but it sounds like a top loader. Is it? Not sure exactly what you are asking but the trans should be in neutral when the shifter is removed and re-installed. If it is in neutral everything should be lined up.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
vickers01

thanx seal, the shifter goes straight on top of the tranny idk if that is a top loader or not its a 4 speed bull dog off of a 80 w200 4x4 and im not sure if its in neutral when i pulled, when i had it out i accidently moved the last gear back some im not sure where its supposed to go back to if there is supposed to be space between them or all bunched together i just dont know plz respond

Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your trans is either a New Process NP435 or NP445 that are referred to as top loaders because the shift linkage is internal and the case opening is on top. Set the gears so they are in neutral. You need to be able to hold the input shaft from moving while you can turn the output shaft. That will be neutral. Then install the shifter and it should be right.

Quick Reply: 318 bulldog gears out of align