1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So many shift kits... what one for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 AM
aaron7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So many shift kits... what one for me?

At Summit for the 727 there are 15 of them!

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...%7cDesc&RC=100

Truck is street driven so I don't want a manual deal. Just want better shifting.

Ideas?

Engine is a 440 and the tranny is a 727; both from a 1973 if that makes a difference.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will be happy with the TransGo TF-1. The TF-1 gives firmer shifts while retaining full auto operation in drive with manual shift control in 1 and 2 and is aimed at the street driver. The TF-2 is aimed more at the street/strip and the shifts are pretty harsh but still maintains full auto. The TF-3 is strictly strip and full manual in all gears. I would not waste my money on anything but TransGo as I have heard horror stories about the other brands. IMHO

With all of the shift kits you must remember that if you shift from (D to 2) the trans will shift down to 2 or (D or 2 to 1) the trans will shift down 1 REGARDLESS OF SPEED. You should also remember that these kits need a sound trans to start with. They will not fix a trans that has any existing problems. TransGo also offers a video for installation but the written instructions are very good.

Last edited by SEAL; 11-11-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:09 PM
aaron7
Veteran

That's exactly the answer I needed to hear... and yeah, I've had two friends with B&M kits in their cars that didn't work right (2nd hesitated too much).

I think I'd go with the TF-2... still full auto which is the only part I care about. I'm all about harsh with my solid motor mounts! haha

Old 11-11-2010, 03:22 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please reread my prior post as I modified it while you were reading it.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Sonnax is also a very good brand but not really for the DIYer.

Transgo is a good brand too as stated and come with really good instructions but the video I got with mine was bad as they tried to modify it for my tranny and updates to the shift kit. It was really choppy.

I used a transgo in my 1994 (A518) and it definately made a difference. I put a sonnax in the A727 out of an '89. The tranny has not gone back in yet so I don't know the results yet.

The trans tech that I get some parts from has nothing good to say about B+M. I do have one of there cast aluminum pans though and I thought the quality was pretty good.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 PM
moparborn
All Star

I have put in a few kits and I have to agree on the trans-go,quick solid shifts.

Quick Reply: So many shift kits... what one for me?