1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newest Member need help.. BAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Ironmower
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd say most of the accesories would be easier to "test" once they're removed. But, to keep tryn to turn-over a frooze motor with the starter can't be good for it.

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck!!!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
sbrodacz
Professional

Originally Posted by Ironmower
i'd say most of the accesories would be easier to "test" once they're removed. But, to keep tryn to turn-over a frooze motor with the starter can't be good for it.

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck!!!!!
Thanks guys. I was suppose to be getting a rebuilt motor on Friday, but the guy who was going to bring it over is having transmission issues. Hopefully he is able to bring it over soon.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM
sbrodacz
Professional

I don't want to bring this thread back from the dead without checking the truck. Out of curiosity, if the problem is a blown head gasket and there being too much coolant/water in the engine. Would a oil change be enough to clean out the engine? I really want to get this thing running again, it has just been too cold out. If I can get it running with little effort I'd hold off on swapping the engine until this spring. It'd be great to be able to drive this thing during Chicago winter.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

no. an oil change will not help unless you solve the problem. i would guess that since your oil is white and you coolant looks normal that your head gasket is leaking coolant into one of the cylinders. if you have a cylinder full of water your engine will not turn over which is why i had been saying you should try removing all the spark plugs and then try turning the engine over.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM
sbrodacz
Professional

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
no. an oil change will not help unless you solve the problem. i would guess that since your oil is white and you coolant looks normal that your head gasket is leaking coolant into one of the cylinders. if you have a cylinder full of water your engine will not turn over which is why i had been saying you should try removing all the spark plugs and then try turning the engine over.
I cannot say anything was wrong with the coolant. There wasn't any. I do not know from trying to drive it home if all the coolant leaked into the engine. I am going to try this sunday to pull the plugs and start it as long as it is not snowing.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
1987 Blue Beast

Well, your saying that your having some troubles starting.

When I first got my Ram, it would do the same thing. It wouldnt turn over, or anything, just would get a "Click" when I turned the key.

Guess what that was. The Starter Neutral Safety Doo-hickey.

So, Make sure when your vehicle is in park, and make sure the steering wheel locks in place. When you place the key in the ignition, shift to Neutral, and then give it a whirl.

If that doesnt do it, I'm not sure what will other than going through everything.

Now, Mines an '87 with a Slant Six. I bought her at 62,XXX miles, and since then she's given me a little hassle but nothing major. It's overheated on me once....bad.... The solution. A New low-temp Thermostat, and shorty after the Radiator rusted, so I had to get a new one ( Thanks AutoZone for the 150$ one day wait. Awesome) But since then, I've had no problems.

The only issue, If I dont let her warm up, (Carb) the tends to stall out sometimes. But It's nothing big it happens when I'm rather impatient. lol

Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1987 Blue Beast
When I first got my Ram, it would do the same thing. It wouldnt turn over, or anything, just would get a "Click" when I turned the key.

Guess what that was. The Starter Neutral Safety Doo-hickey.
if the problem was with the Neutral Safety switch you could just unplug it.

Quick Reply: Newest Member need help.. BAD