1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

just bought a 1973 d100

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
michaelj62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a 1973 d100

its solid needs complete restoration, 360 auto , short bed, any advice on where to get parts would be helpful, it doesnt have power steering, would like advice for upgrade!!!!!!! i live in austin tx.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM
89ram150
Professional

The drivetrains on these trucks are pretty universal with the chrysler cars, and from mid 60's to late 80's, things didn't change much, so as far as engine/trans, probably any parts store. Interior, body, trim, etc... that's a whole other story. I have an '89 and I rely solely on junkyards for d-150-specific parts. Ebay has some stuff from time to time, but when it comes to used/salvaged parts, I like to have it in my hands and personally inspect before I give up any money. I know if I was able to do so where I live, I'd buy a parts/donor truck that had some extra of the really hard-to-find parts. You'll get frustrated seeing Ford and Chevy parts all over the place, but don't get discouraged. You'll have something that'll never got lost in a parking lot, or a car show for that matter, when you're done.

Last edited by 89ram150; 01-09-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Diesel-Gypsy

Michael, I'm not sure this particular forum has much interest in our vintage projects.
I started a thread like 15 months ago, and not much came of it....
It's not a "dis" on the guys here, its just that WE are few & far between doing up these really older Dodges.

RL

Old 08-28-2011, 02:35 PM
aje1127
Veteran

look in the local u pull it yards. i have been meaning to go up to the one on 71,in austin. i do believe they have reasonable prices. good luck

Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, if you don't get an answer in a few days, you might try to bump your thread back to the top.

Sometimes the weekend "crowd" is different than the weekday crowd. Also, if the question is too broad you might try to be more specific. For example, what specific parts are you looking for. I'm sure others do the same as me by keeping links to parts houses that I might need in the future. I will throw a bone any chance I get to help out but don't really know what you are looking for. Also, what are your plans for the truck might help. Resto, hot rod, or off-road can make a world of difference.

BTW, Michael, glad to see another Texan on here! If you ever come to San Antonio, we have a couple of Pick-n-Pull yards that are always getting fresh trucks in but parts go real fast. Fridays or Saturday mornings early are best before the vultures clean their kill.

Quick Reply: just bought a 1973 d100