DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech-63/)
-   -   Location of ECM? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech/285947-location-of-ecm.html)

jewalker7842 03-30-2011 11:23 PM

Location of ECM?

This is a very embarassing question to ask. Where is the ECM? I think it might need replacing.:icon_iamwithstupid:I was looking in the Haynes manual and cannot seem to find where it resides.

crazzywolfie 03-30-2011 11:42 PM

behind the battery

jewalker7842 03-30-2011 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie (Post 2464472)
behind the battery

Thank you crazziewolfie, I do much appreciate it. :icon_imnotworthy:

SEAL 03-31-2011 07:23 AM

Why do you think the ECM is bad? Most ECM cores that are returned to the rebuilders are found to have no problems.

jewalker7842 03-31-2011 12:31 PM

I am hoping it is not bad. I am going to check it out today to make sure their is no visible burnt wire or plastic.

Over the past year the truck has developed a "dead spot" in the throttle. If you BARELY foot your foot on the gas in park, neutral, or reverse, and hold it there it will stall. It does it more or less in reverse. I step on the gas in reverse it moves a few feet, drops rms, sometimes it will catch it, self sometimes it will stall. I does this in drive also.

I had the transmission rebuilt about 9 months ago. The problem just started getting REALLY bad these past few months. So to try and fix the problem I have replaced the TPS sensor, MAP sensor, IAC control valve, speed control sensor, and camshaft sensor, taken the throttle body off and cleaned it and put in a new battery. I have also replaced the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. I have sprayed seafoam through the intake, put seafoam in the gas tank, put Marvel Mystery Oil in there drove it for a few days and no change. I have checked the transmission fluid level and it is full. I recently did a tuneup plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. I have also replaced the EGR Valve.

So as you can see, it seems like it could be an ECM problem. I am hoping that it is not. I would appreciate an alternative though lol. I've already put too much dang money into this thing.

SEAL 03-31-2011 04:23 PM

I know you replaced it but this sounds like the TPS. Have you checked the voltages at the TPS connector to see if there is a dead spot? The voltage should change smoothly as the throttle is opened.

jewalker7842 03-31-2011 08:52 PM

No not yet. I'll check the voltage on it tomorrow when I go to pick up the ECM. I am sure O'Reillys has something to check it with.

SEAL 04-01-2011 07:35 AM

You only need a volt meter and paper clips to check the voltage on the TPS.

jewalker7842 04-02-2011 12:53 PM

Lol I had to go out and get the paperclips and voltmeter. The TPS sensor is fine the ECM wasn't throwing any codes. I took it over to my diesel mechanic friend and after looking at it for about 30 minutes we found that the harmonic balancer was wobbling. So if that is wobbling its throwing the crankshaft sensor off. So we are going to replace it this afternoon. I am pretty sure we nailed it this time.