1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Distributor 180 degrees off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
donerico
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor 180 degrees off?

In my 87 Ram 318, the number one spark plug wire is connected to the the position closest to the firewall in the distributor. This is 180 degrees opposite from all the pictures I have seen as well as from the Haynes manual. The truck runs Ok except it is very rough when I stop at intersections and also a little rough at idle. I was wondering if the distributor is 180 degrees off and that is why they connected the wires the way they are.
I have read about putting the #1 cyl in TDC on the compression cycle and checking the position of the rotor. How do I know when I am in the compression cycle? do I need to have the valve cover of to be able to tell?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove #1 plug, remove coil wire so you don't get the crap knocked out of you, have some one just tap the starter where the motor turns a little at a time and with a finger in the spark plug hole you can feel the compression.
After it is that close turn motor over by hand to line timing mark up.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
SixGun
Veteran

Mark the dist. body where the no.1 spark plug wire connects to it for reference. My dist. is original and has a scribed TDC or No.1 marked on the side of it with an arrow. Turn the crankshaft bolt with a large socket and breaker bar. You will probably need a piece of pipe slipped over the breaker bar handle for additional leverage. Turn it clockwise until the groove that goes all the way across the vibration damper is lined up with the Zero on the timing tab. The rotor should be pointed at the no.1 mark on your dist. body. If not turn the crankshaft one more complete turn until the rotor is lined up.

If you had been 180* off, I don't think it would start. I've done that before putting in a new motor and it would crank but not start. You should make sure your wires are in the right firing order too. Now that you have no.1, going clockwise it should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. If you have an original intake manifold it should be marked on the ports which cylinders. Starting with no.1 on Drivers front it should be 1-3-5-7 and on the passenger side front going back starts with 2-4-6-8.

Might change your dist. cap and rotor if not done already and check the gap on the plugs and their condition. Set the timing also. Basic tune-up.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

your crank turns twice for every 1 rotation of the cam which is why it may seem off. if your distributor was off by 180 it would shoot gas out the carb when you try to start it.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the distributor is installed 180 out and that is why the wires are connected 180 out. The rest of your questions on checking it have already been answered. The way it is it should run fine if everything else is set correctly.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SEAL
It sounds like the distributor is installed 180 out and that is why the wires are connected 180 out. The rest of your questions on checking it have already been answered. The way it is it should run fine if everything else is set correctly.
You're right, Seal. I've been known to do that a time or three in the past myself.

Quick Reply: Distributor 180 degrees off?