1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remove Throttle Selenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:32 PM
donerico
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Throttle Selenoid?

I have been trying to figure out why my truck kind of jerks and shakes when I stop at intesections (if I put it in park , it stops shaking). I have heard that the throttle (fast idle) solenoid in the carburator sometimes causes problems. I am thinking of just removing it, any thoughts? Disconnecting the wires to it doesn't seem to change anything.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked the timing? the carb could need to be tuned. i have never heard of a fast idle solenoid but i am pretty sure there should be a high idle screw and curb idle screw on the carb.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a Carter Thermoquad or a Quadrajet? They both had a fast idle solenoid. Does it do it when it is cold or all the time? The fast idle solenoid only works when it is cold or when the A/C is on so if it shows these symptoms when it is warm the problem lies elsewhere.

Last edited by SEAL; 04-09-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Remove Throttle Selenoid?