1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1985 D350 stalls our when warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 PM
dsgarver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 D350 stalls our when warm

This truck sat for 7 years. Someone at church gave it to me. Mechanic so far has dropped the tank to repair the pick up tube and the fuel gauge. (which still doesn't work) and tuned it up. Someone else had recently installed a new fuel pump. He also replaced the fuel filters (two). When we tried to drive it, we made it 1/2 mile and it died. So he said it needed a carburetor. So we replaced that too. Same thing. wouldn't start back up until it cooled off. So replaced the coil. This time it went a mile and did not stall, however the engine ran only at idle. Cooled 15 minutes and then it ran another mile. What do you think; ignition module? I believe this truck predates computers. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks - Doug

Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the only other thing i can think of that you have not already replaced is the Ignition Control Module and ballast resister.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 05-05-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are so many things this could be. for instance, your advance mechanism in the distribbutor could be frozen up and not let the enigne advance. you might have a weird piece of trash in the fuel tank. I believe those years had a dual pickup distributor. this could be malfunctioning. I assume you hav replaced all the plug wires and cap and rotor. id replace the fuel filter too. any way, you need to get a good basic book on automotive trouble shooting. Motor used to make one and they show up on ebay. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: 1985 D350 stalls our when warm