1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92 3.9l intake plenum gasket change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011 | 05:52 PM
cumminsforever
|
Default 92 3.9l intake plenum gasket change?

Hey guys my dad n I run cummins 4x4's but mom has a 92 2wd 150 with the 3.9l in it with 90k km on it recently it started idling a little rough n coughs n spudders while acceleration so I did some research n found all the magnum motors have intake plenum gasket problems. So I figured well symptoms sound about right as a loss of intake vacuum so I looked in the intake n sure enough pass side has oil in it.

How much of a job is this going to be n what's involved? does the dizzy come out or can it stay in?

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:22 PM
1986JEEP
Professional

Give this a try it should give you all the info you need. it is shown on a v8 but its the same process https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i am pretty sure you can leave the dizzy in. from what i have read in the 2nd gen section, it would take someone doing it there first time about 6 hours if everything goes smooth and you don't break any bolt. you may want to start soaking the intake manifold bolt every day for about a week before you attempt the job just to make sure you don't break one because they are the most likely to break. you need to get new intake manifold bolts because they are torque to yield and if you try to re-use them the will most likely snap off in the head. Hughes engines has a kit for about $120 plus shipping or there is a guy on ebay selling just the aluminum plenum pan and the proper length bolt for $40 plus shipping

Old 07-27-2011 | 12:10 PM
cumminsforever
|

That does like the plenum gasket right?

Old 08-05-2011 | 12:19 PM
cumminsforever
|

BUMP

That sounds like the plenum gasket right it's going in monday and I wanna know for sure before the money gets wasted and still no fix.

Old 08-05-2011 | 12:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if you want to make sure you don't waste any money make sure to get an aluminum plenum pan. if you just replace the gasket it will eventually start to leak again. i just noticed i screwed up and posted the same link twice. here is the just the aluminum plenum pan on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DODGE-ALUMINU...#ht_500wt_1156

Old 08-06-2011 | 03:53 AM
cumminsforever
|

Okay but the symptoms I gave sound like the gasket right?

Quick Reply: 92 3.9l intake plenum gasket change?