1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mech Gauge Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Tagi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mech Gauge Leak

My mechanical oil gauge has formed a leak. When I first start the truck 3-4 drops fall then it stops. My first instinct was to solder it but I don't think that it would stick. Is there anything I need to know before I pick up some replacement copper line? I was thinking I could just trace the existing line with the new. There is a small crack in the current copper line.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 PM
fast_five_oh
Professional

u can buy a new gauge if it leaks, if the line leaks go with the copper tube, it seals the best.

me personally, i got tired of leaks, so i got my oil/water in electical..there autometer phantoms, and to be honest, i trust the just as much as a mech gauge

Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Tagi
Amateur

I got the leak fixed. I messed up a fitting bead thing when figuring out how it works. The fitting on the engine was a pain to get to and even more to connect one handed.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tagi
I got the leak fixed. I messed up a fitting bead thing when figuring out how it works. The fitting on the engine was a pain to get to and even more to connect one handed.
Yeah, but you learned how to do it. Next time it will be easier.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Tagi
Amateur

Originally Posted by charlie1935
Yeah, but you learned how to do it. Next time it will be easier.
Thats the truth. I'm going to be changing my shocks for the first timethis weekend also. Gonna be a good weekend working on my truck and reward myself with some beer afterwards. I was going to get some monroe sensatracs.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 AM
aje1127
Veteran

the monroe sensatracs are good shocks. i put the sensatrac load levelers on the rear of mine(the ones with the springs on them) i believe they cost me like $113 tax inc. at oreillys auto parts. i need to get new rear springs yet and i think my issues im having will be gone. good luck

Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tagi
Thats the truth. I'm going to be changing my shocks for the first timethis weekend also. Gonna be a good weekend working on my truck and reward myself with some beer afterwards. I was going to get some monroe sensatracs.
Always good to see a young feller or gal get interested in doing something like this.
Getting old has cut down on what i can do but I still do what I can reasonably.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Tagi
Amateur

I ended up having to get the gas magnum monroes. The local warehouse only had 1 sensatrac.

Quick Reply: Mech Gauge Leak