1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cranks but doesnt fire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 AM
tate24texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks but doesnt fire?

I just bought a 1985 Dodge d150 with the slant six.The problem is it doesnt like to start while its cold but last night at the bank it just died while idiling.Engine cranks with no problem.I tried shooting some staring fluid in the carb when the motor was still warm and while it sat overnight.I was told that the Magnetic Pickup in the distbutor was bad,but i never new them to go bad ,or am i mistaken.Help a newbie get his new favorite back on the road.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked for power at the coil. could be a ballast resister gone bad. you may also want to check for power at the fuses with the key in the on position.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is yours a single or dual pick-up coil in the distributor? They do go bad but not often and they can be tested. Resistance in the pick-up coils should be 150 to 900 ohms.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 AM
tate24texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was the coil thanks guys, but now it doesnt want to drive.my frien tried to advace the timing a little bit, and now it goes until i go about 15mph in first gear.It wants to fall on its face? Timing?

Quick Reply: Cranks but doesnt fire?