1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 engine wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:46 PM
bigtrucknut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 engine wiring

I am moving my 318 from a 88 w100 into a 84 d150. The 84 d150 has had a front 4x4 axle installed already. My question is, i am going from a tbi to a straight carb. The 88 engine distributor has a hall effects pickup that has 3 wires coming out of it. The 84 truck that im putting the motor in does not have these wires. Does anyone know where these wires go or know of a better wiring diagram than the haynes book has? Or do i need to go to a vac advance. Also the coil has 2 wires, 1 for ground and the other goes where? To a hot source somewhere? I do not know. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

take all the sensors and parts off the old engine and install them in your new engine. the stock wiring for it should work fine unless it has been destroyed. the distributor from a 84 318 or 360 should just bolt in. the main thing i would do is make sure the engine has a lobe on the cam for a mechanical fuel pump or it will cost you about $100 for a electric fuel pump and regulator.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM
bigtrucknut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 wiring

thanks for the reply crazzywolfie. the wiring on my 84 does not have any kind of wiring that looks like it hooks to the distributor. as far as sensors go im putting a edelbrock performer intake on it and the only sensor im moving over is the water temp. i have another 85 with a 360 and i tried looking at it for matching up wires figuring it would be similar. its horseshoes and handgrenades but not a direct matchup. any other help would be appreciated. im not a newby to wrenching but a direct diagrahm for wiring would help if there is one. thanks, again

Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

on the 84 there should only be 2 wires going to the distributor which is why you need the distributor from a carbed ram. the wiring on a 85 should be identical except for maybe the bulkhead disconnect. i think the only sensor that is on the intake is the temp sensor. the oil pressure sensor is on the block back by the distributor which is what will make changing the distributor a pain in the a$$. there should not be any difference between the wiring on a 84 and 85 unless maybe 1 has a 5 pin ignition system and the other has a 4 pin ignition system. the distributor from the 85 360 should also work in the 318.
distributor and it's plug.

this is how the 4pin ignition system on these trucks work

Quick Reply: 318 engine wiring