1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM
dodge3_18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

Can I take the 727 transmission and transfer case out of my 87 w150 and put them in my 93 w250 that currently has the 46rh aoutmatic overdrive?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you didn't need to create a new thread since you already had already started one about this.

is there a problem with the 46RH? as far as i know the only difference between 36rh(727) and 46rh is the overdrive assembly which gives it the 4th gear. in order to use the 727 out of the 87 you may have to swap over drive shafts and cross members. you would also have to cut a chunk off the bell housing for the crank position sensor on the back of the engine.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:56 PM
dodge3_18

The person before me had put a shift kit in the 46rh. Not sure what they did but it does not shift right. Bought the truck to put a snowplow on and from what i have read sounds like the 46rh may not be a good transmission for plowing? I have had good luck with the 727 in my 2 older trucks and dont know how dependable the overdrive transmissions are.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 46RH is the new name for an A518 which is an A727 with an overdrive section added, as crazzywolfie said. A quality shift kit that is properly installed should help with the snow plowing application. The 46RH maintains the hydraulic control unlike the 46RE which is electrically controlled. The biggest weakness of all the torqueflites is the case. It doesn't stand up well if you have to rock the truck back and forth when you get stuck.

Do you think the shift kit install is causing the problem? Shift kits are just modifications to the valve body. You can usually pick up a used valve body at the larger trans shops out of an old trashed tranny for very little money to restore yours to stock or to properly install your own shift kit.

"Does not shift right" really doesn't give us much to go on in the realm of trouble shooting. More detail would help.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 AM
dodge3_18

It shifts into 3rd gear too soon and makes a growling noise when it shifts. Sometimes it will not downshift on its own and I have to pull the shifter down to 2nd when I come up to a stop sign. The only reason I thought of switching transmissions is because I have had to fix several things on the truck that previous owner tried to do themselves and nothing was done properly and I am not sure what all they did to transmission if it was just a shift kit or if they tried to rebuild it.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go the adjustment route first because it is free and may very well solve the problem. Check the fluid level first, then the throttle linkage adjustment, the shift linkage adjustment, and adjust the bands properly. Do a test drive after each of those to see what the problem was.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Do everything SEAL suggested but start by making sure the throttle valve
Linkage is adjusted properly, VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO PROPER SHIFTING.
Check out this link http://www.ifsja.org/tech/transmission/727adj.html.
If you’re worried about reliability for plowing install Aux trans cooler in addition to the factory cooler.

Dave

Quick Reply: Transmission