1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Change from front to side oil dip stick or change oil pan???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 AM
mjm1988
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change from front to side oil dip stick or change oil pan???

The bozos that replaced the engine in my truck ('88 D100 w/ 318 & front dip stick) apparently used the wrong oil pan - my question: is it easier to:

1. Replace the oil pan w/ the correct one (that has the channel for the dipstick)

or

2. Install a dip stick in the side of the engine block - I understand the V8s are configured to take a side dip stick, so this should not involve much more than locating the plugged port and installing the dipstick tube...I understand the "marine" version of the LA V8 has a side dipstick...

The apparent advantage of having the side dipstick/tube is that it goes directly into the sump(oil pan), so it completely avoids all the "channelling" crap of the front stick. Just looking for the easiest way to start checking my oil level....Pretty sure it burns a quart every 750-1000 miles (definitely bad valve seals...smokes on startup), so knowing the oil level is quite desireable!!!

Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: Change from front to side oil dip stick or change oil pan???