1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High Idle, Dieseling Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Husker350
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle, Dieseling Cummins

Hey guys, I got a new truck. It's a 1993 Dodge D250 Intercooled Cummins with the Getrag 5 speed. It's been running great the past week that I've had it.. But today I was on my way home, and I realized that it was idling a lot higher than normal.. I got home, parked it and when I shut the key off it just kept running, but when I turned the key the Idle went back down to normal I turned the key back on and the idle went back up high again. I finally just dumped the clutch to get it to shut off. I turned the truck back on a couple times and every time the idle was still high, and when I turned off the key it would diesel, then 10 seconds later would shut off... What do you think the problem is? Thanks!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a faulty fuel solenoid or a problem in the injection pump.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be running away, as in burning its own oil. This is not only a dangerous situation for you as a driver, but could result in self destruction.

Quick Reply: High Idle, Dieseling Cummins