1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1993 Oil Pan & Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
oleblue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Oil Pan & Transmission

All,

I could really use some help dropping my oil pan on my 1993 dodge ram 150. I can get all the bolts out of the oil pan without taking off the torque converter cover but I cannot get the oil pan to drop. I also can't get the torque converter cover off after I've taken off all its bolts as it seems wedged or something. If there is any trick or if this is a common problem let me know, it's my first time trying to do this.

The reason for having to drop it is because I took the timing belt cover off and with it came part of the oil pan gasket (of course) and it's caused me a bit of trouble since. Again, any help would be great as I am in a bit of a time crunch.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 PM
aje1127
Veteran

first off i think they make a partial oil pan gasket just for the purpouse of changing out the timing cover.if you really need to pull the oil pan i think you need to pull the starter to get the torque converter cover off,also need to drop the y-pipe on the exhaust. if you are going to pull the pan mabe a good idea to put in a new oil pump/rear main seal while your in there,just a thought. thats what i did,its your call. good luck

Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Comrade General
Captain

This is kinda off topic just I dont have a torque converter cover. Is that a problem?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think it would since it would allow all the road dirt and debris to get in. i think if you can't find one from a first gen a 2nd gen one might fit.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 PM
oleblue

Right on, I have the starter removed but the torque converter cover (TCC) is still a pain to remove. The large bolt for the starter is causing a problem in popping the TCC over it while the top is still behind (seemingly) the block or just hung up on the oil pan itself. Hard to explain but it's causing me a bit of trouble, didnt know of there was a trick or this was notoriously difficult. Thanks for any further help!

Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 AM
aje1127
Veteran

its been a while but if you have all bolts out you may have a bit of trouble to get it out. i seem to remember it fits in there tight. good luck

Quick Reply: 1993 Oil Pan & Transmission