1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ac delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Dodgeman707
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac delete

the ac in my 91 318 has never worked and recently the bearings are starting to go out. can i bypass the ac by going under the water pump? it looks like there wont be enough clearance to do. is it possible? i havent been able to find a non ac pulley anywhere online or at junkyards here. any suggestions?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

last time i checked you could. i think the only thing is you are only able to get 1 belt under it.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Dodgeman707
Rookie

any idea what size that belt is?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

no idea what size it was. i think i remember it was was a bit larger than power steering belt. maybe you can use some string to compare what you need.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Comrade General
Captain

You can do it. I actually did find a non-ac pulley at my local Advance Auto Parts. But the one they gave me didnt fit. Just slightly too small. But they did have another that was slightly bigger and it did fit. Although that size is apparently dis-continued. You may be able to find it. I got the brand and the product number for you, the brand is Drive Rite and the number is 895K7. I would go to different parts store asking, it is not uncommon for one part store to not have something that another one does.

Also I must say thanks, when I ran outside to get the part number I noticed I left my lights on. If I hadnt have gone of there for this I probably would have had a dead battery next time i went outside. Funny how things work out sometimes.

edit
btw I have a 92 w150

Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Dodgeman707
Rookie

is that pulley serp belt or v belt i can find serp belt ones all day long

Old 06-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Comrade General
Captain

Its a serpentine belt. Its listed as a v-ribbed belt but thats not the same as a V belt.

I went to Advance's website and searched the part number, it came up.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPBELTAMS____

Last edited by Comrade General; 06-23-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the bypass today. The proper belt length was 52". I would recommend using an idler pulley from a non-ac truck. Everything worked very well, except there wasn't enough clearance under the water pump, as was mentioned. Since it wasn't much, I ended up filing off some of the water pump casing. It just barely clears now. I should probably actually do a little bit more, but obviously I don't want to go too deep. I had my fingers crossed the whole time, hoping I didn't go too far.

The results are good: one belt with one proper tension, no grinding bearings from the ac, and its not shredding the belt on the water pump yet. That being said, I'd rather have done the pulley swap. I actually have the proper pulley for the swap, I just can't get the bolts for the ac out. They are rusted and rounded, and just ugly. I'll probably end up having to drill out at least one.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank for the update, I was thinking of doing the same thing and was hoping to adjust of the alternator to get it to fit. I had not thought grinding down the water pump. The '82 service manual has the various configurations for the belts, I uploaded it below. Did you try to adjust the alternator's location in its bracket?

Name:  fanbelt.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  135.3 KB

Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The belt I got was probably actually a little too short. The alternator is about 1/3 of the way from its rightmost adjustment. Thats as far as you can get with a 52" belt. I assume if you use a 54" or even a 56" you would be able to move the alternator farther left, and maybe clear. Crap. I wish that would have occured/been revealed to me before I bought the small belt and ground my water pump.

Quick Reply: ac delete