1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilt trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Birge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt trans

Just got my truck back from the transmission shop last night. CP Performance in Valley Park, MO Did a great job rebuilding my transmission. My Overdrive was out, Bands were in bad bad shape everything was pretty toasted. The OD cancle swithc on the dash wasn't working either. I drove the truck home and it was nice and mellow at 65-70 mph on the interstate, and when I got back to town was surprised to have the OD kick in at about 45 mph, does great.

I do have a slight miss still, and I have hard starting when its warm. It will usually take on the third try. I have serached this forumn to find several different answers on the hard start. Originally I thought it was vacumn related but have not found any major leaks. I am looking possibly at the EGR valve sticking open which I beleive could also cause this, also going to lok under the dist cap at the rotor and the pickup. Is there a test for the EGR Valve?

Any other thoughts on Hard Start, Fuel Pressure?

Unrelated My speedometer was also not working, I changed the speed sensor with no help. I ordered from a junkyard out in Utah a new cluster, it came in pretty beat up, they did not package it very well so I have claim out. I have however robbed the speedo head out of this cluster and will put in my cluster tonight. I will try to do a diy tech tip on this if I can.

Next item of business is the Dana 44 in front is tired, the pinion is bouncing so I have the front drive shaft out for nowe until I find time to disassemble the entire front to service. Kinda a big saturday job and need to have all the parts there ahead of time.

Birge

Old 06-23-2012, 12:24 AM
sls001
Captain

For your starting issues I would start with checking for codes and check the fuel pressure.

As far as the EGR valve it either sticks open or closed.

As far as your speedometer...have you checked for bad wires, connections, connectors? The printed circuit boards on the back of the cluster get loose at the connector.

With regards to your front axle; you say the pinion is loose? Have you ever done any axle\differential work before? There are some special tools involved even if only changing pinion bearings.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Birge
Rookie
Default Yep

For your starting issues I would start with checking for codes and check the fuel pressure.

As far as the EGR valve it either sticks open or closed.

As far as your speedometer...have you checked for bad wires, connections, connectors? The printed circuit boards on the back of the cluster get loose at the connector.

With regards to your front axle; you say the pinion is loose? Have you ever done any axle\differential work before? There are some special tools involved even if only changing pinion bearings.
I will check codes today not sure I have a very good means of checking fuel pressure. I do not have a CEL on

THe EGR is changed and though it has an orginal chryler tag on it and it might be original could be a dealer part it didn't help much.

The speedo is fixed and working, I had checked all the connections, traced wires, traced connections on the board, and put in a new speed sensor becasue the old one did not work. This speedo works fine, I also was able to clean the cluster, and install new light bulbs and conect the gear shift lever cable back up.

Your correct about the front end and no I don't have any special tools, I will just have to save up some money and see what else to do.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt trans