1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 AM
tarheelboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission woes

Hi guys. New member here. I have been trolling through the threads but can't find my problem so here it is.

I have a 1989 Dodge Power Ram 100. 318, automatic, 4WD. The transmission shifts just fine from 1st to 2nd. It doesn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd. It will shift, but can take a mile or two before it does. Fluid level is fine.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would first check the adjustment of the throttle rod as that is what controls the shift. When was the last filter change and band adjustment?

Last edited by SEAL; 10-25-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM
tarheelboy
Rookie

I have no idea when the filter was changed last. I just bought the truck from a lady whose husband passed away. The truck has been sitting for a couple of years.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
SEAL
Champion

I would drop the pan and change the filter&fluid and adjust the bands while you are in there. This is cheap insurance. If the throttle rod adjustment, fluid, filter, and adjusting the bands don't help you are looking at pressure tests and visual inspections inside the trans.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:09 PM
philcoaz
Default 1984 w/auto trans

i am not sure where to ask this so i put it here .Wife has a 84 pickup with a straight 6 and auto trans . Thirs gear stopped working yesterday -any ideas where to start ? fluid is new and up to level . HELP

Old 10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
SEAL
Champion

philcoaz: For next time you should start your own thread.

Third gear stopped working. What does it do? Does it just slip in third or does it not shift into third at all? Is the fluid at the proper level?

If the fluid level is OK I would suggest doing the same things I mentioned for tarheelboy.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
philcoaz
Default 84 trans

it will not go into third at all -was working fine a week agao but now i can not get third gear even when i drive it at 35mph or higher . checked linkages and they are fine . any suggestions?

Old 10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
tarheelboy
Rookie

Thanks for the info seal. I'll start with the filter change and rod adjustment. For the rod adjustment, with the gas pedal floored there should be almost no play in the cable/rod. right?

Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
SEAL
Champion

You have to drop the pan to adjust the bands so be sure to do that at the same time as the filter. It is an adjustment and costs nothing but could extend the life of the trans greatly. This is done at least every two years on my truck but my truck works hard. Do you have a manual for the truck?

The throttle rod is adjusted with the carb at the lowest possible idle position and truck off. You must make sure the ISC (Idle Speed Control) is fully retracted. Loosen the swivel lock screw on the throttle rod at the trans so the rod slides freely. Have someone hold the throttle lever on the carb fully forward against its internal stop. If the throttle lever is touching the ISC plunger the ISC is not fully retracted. Tighten the swivel lock screw at the trans. Reconnect the ISC electrical connecter. Do not start the engine but put the key in the run position for 5 seconds. Turn the key off. You can now start the truck and test drive it.

Last edited by SEAL; 10-26-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 PM
tarheelboy
Rookie

I had to order the manual. Nobody around here had it. It hasn't come in yet so I am kinda waitin on that. Thanks for your help though. I really appreciate it. I try to do as much repair work as I can. Shops are too expensive. But I am no mechanic. I use the manual and internet to help me.

Quick Reply: transmission woes