1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just bought 91 D150. DTC 12, 37 / RWAL DTC 9

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM
djalfaro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 91 D150. DTC 12, 37 / RWAL DTC 9

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I just got a great deal on a 1991 D150 extended cab. Single owner, only 97k mi!! Even had a rack and tool box, best thing, I only paid $1300. My 2006 minivan only has 25k more miles. Anyways, I'm just trying to clean up the codes, and get it running cherry. So I checked the codes, and I've got a 12, and 37. I read somewhere that the 12 is for a battery disconnected? Not sure what that means, and how to clear it. The 37 is for a open or shorted torque converter lockup solenoid circuit, which shouldn't be too hard to test for and repair. Just looking for tips if anyone has had these codes before.

Also I've got both brake and anti-lock warning lights on, so I pulled the codes for that and got a code 9, unfortunately I didn't print the diagnostic chart for that code, and I don't have access to Mitchell until school starts back up after Thanksgiving, so I don't know what the code is even for. Another thing, as I do have access to Mitchell, if someone needs a wiring diagram or other info, pm it to me, and I'll get it to you after the holiday break. Thanks for Helping. Pictures to follow.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A code 12 should clear itself after 50 key start cycles without the battery being disconnected. I have had a code 37 since my truck was new because I don't have that system and I bet you don't either. If the system isn't there the computer sets the code and there is no way to get rid of it as it just resets the code every start cycle. The engine codes can be found here.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...formation.html

The anti-lock brakes on these trucks were a joke. Most everyone just disconnects the RAWL module behind the glove box. Some have even removed the rear hydraulic control valve entirely.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM
djalfaro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the quick reply. Which transmissions DID NOT have the lock-up converter? And what's the easiest way to determine which transmission I have? The build plate?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. Just PM'd you. Thanks for the offer.

Quick Reply: Just bought 91 D150. DTC 12, 37 / RWAL DTC 9