1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need advice building a cheap 318

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you reference a statement that someone else makes and say "not really" how is that not saying that the statement is wrong? Sorry but that makes no sense, with all due respect words have meaning.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First let me make certain to say that I'm not trying to in-flame you or **** you off and am certainly not trying to make any of this personal! And; I apologize if any of this has come off that way.

My comment "not really" was in response to this:
"Originally Posted by SEAL: Even with fuel injection the CFM of the throttle body must still be calculated to determine its size."

To which I've pointed out that, and to put plainly, you are both right and wrong...in the example I'm using, and have plenty of rear-world experience with, the common plenum standard 4bbl type intake with T-body, the CFM is not as important...but your were correct with regards to the other type of FI (port fuel, long runner, split plenum, etc.).

I just didn't want to come right out and say "you 1/2 are wrong". So much for political correctness. I guess I should have reworded it to "you are partially correct\wrong"

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM
jpeckham

Finally back and wow is all I can say. I found another 360 and after I get it I'm sending the crank in to make sure its good than checking the heads for flatness. Probably porting the intake to 202 and exhaust to 190. Putting an edelbrock intake and headers. Need advice for cam selection and carb size.

Using truck as a daily driver in winter so just a mild build

Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally the OP is back. Thought we lost you. Something sls001 and I agree on is a 500 CFM carb for the 360. For the cam I would use something like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...iew/make/dodge

sls001: I don't understand what would make you think you have inflamed or pissed me off. I don't think that of you. We are just passing time.

What you have said about the nuts and bolts is all factual and I agree with it. We have a disagreement as to whether my statement was correct or not. I don't believe it was wrong and now you believe it was half wrong. I take that as progress.

You believe that the selection, of some parts of an engine, is more critical than the selection of others and I don't. I believe the selection of all of the parts of an engine are of equal importance. Just a gentleman's disagreement.

P.S. I don't do political correctness.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

there is a couple video's on youtube of that cam and it sounds fairly good. if you plan on replacing the push rods do not throw the old ones out until you make you make sure the new one are identical. if you do get that cam you may want to get the kit with lifters. no point replacing one and not the other.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 AM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by SEAL

sls001: I don't understand what would make you think you have inflamed or pissed me off. I don't think that of you. We are just passing time.

What you have said about the nuts and bolts is all factual and I agree with it. We have a disagreement as to whether my statement was correct or not. I don't believe it was wrong and now you believe it was half wrong. I take that as progress.

You believe that the selection, of some parts of an engine, is more critical than the selection of others and I don't. I believe the selection of all of the parts of an engine are of equal importance. Just a gentleman's disagreement.

P.S. I don't do political correctness.
OK - Just wanted to make certain!
Thanks,

Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Jared Boulanger
Default Building up a 318

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
You can put the heads and intake from the 360 on it. You would probably want to have the heads milled to keep the compression from dropping.
putting 5.9 heads and intake on a 318 will kill power...

The 5.9 has bigger combustion chanmber so lower compression and it has smaller 1.88 intake 1.617 exhaust valves and it has 1.5rockers the older 5.9 94-97 had a better cam than the 95-02 engines... 94-97 269exh duration 274intake duration 95-02 269exh duration 249intake duration

The 318 has 1.916 intake 1.624 exhaust vale sizes with 1.6rockers
the intakes manifolds are the same...

How ever taking the 5.2 heads and putting them on a 5.9 would increase power... By about 15-20hp... But if u got spare set like me take the time to port match the gaskets b4 u bolt them on... And thro a set of headders on it and cut out the center divider out of the air intake and shave the runners that should add u at least 50hp to ur 5.9 then u can buy a tuner and tune it and get another 50hp out of it possibly more since its ported and **** now...

Fir 318 i would just port and polish the heads to the max cut the center divider on the intake and shave the runners put on headders and tune the engine should be able to see 325 after those mods and the tuner
230stock hp plus 15hp from headders 15hp from the intake mod and anyware between 10-50hp from the porting of the heads on the stock cam... But i would also go with a bigger cam for shure on 318 and when tuned you can add another 30-70hp just depends on how well you truck responded to the mods you did plus the tune... The tune stock say it can ad 40hp but with the mods it should add more because better air flow...

Even if the heads are the ezact same alot of places say they are the same when their not they say they both have a 1.92 inatke 1.62exhust vales but not all of them do there are 3dif ones... putting 5.2 head on a 5.9 will increase hp simply just cuz the 5.2 heads have 1.6rr over the 5.9s 1.5rr... But im pretty positive the 318heads have the bigger vales as stated... You could get the r/t heads 2.02intake valve and port n polish those but u could buy better heads for the money... Like eq heads stage two port polish brings the stock 318 to 325hp with just tbeir heads saposevly... Wish some one made some 195cc to 220cc intake size heads for it... But i really just want something with a 2in pluss size intake and 1.7-1.9in exhaust valve size if possible but i doubt that... I like the new edle brock hemi heads that flow 330cfm at .500lift those are sweet heads... Wish they made them for our 318 360s

Quick Reply: need advice building a cheap 318