1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92 w150 electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
racermx114
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 w150 electrical issues

i have a 92 w150 that will shut down randomly while driving. sometimes it will be ok for a week, sometimes i cant get out of the parking lot at work. when running, it runs great! i was checking it out the other day while it was running and all of a sudden it looses spark and dies. i was checking the green and orange wire from the injectors and coil and alternator to the asd relay and while wiggling them around while running i could get it to stall. checked all wires to from parts to asd relay and all have continuity. started checking the black plastic wire distribution box on alternator and 3 of the 4 wires have continuity together. at the plug if you test the terminal for the charging post it has continuity to the grond post of the connector! is it common for these connectors to go bad??

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Check the ignition wire. If the insulation has worn off then it can ground on the engine or manifold and itll kill the engine and/or cause it to struggle

Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM
racermx114

Originally Posted by Comrade General
Check the ignition wire. If the insulation has worn off then it can ground on the engine or manifold and itll kill the engine and/or cause it to struggle
Well, hopefully I got it straightened out now. After a bunch of checking it seemed to be a loose connector at the coil. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Comrade General
Captain

No problem.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Marcusr

With any luck that was your problem, I have a 92 that had the same exact problem. After searching around on the forums I replaced the crank position sensor and the distributor coil and was still having the random shutdown issue. Then i started to notice that my check engine light wouldn't always come on and another post suggested i might have a faulty ECU. I found a guy on ebay that reconditions ECU's for ~$60 which was a steal and that resolved the random shutdown issue, but now I have issues starting the truck when it's cold outside...

Quick Reply: 92 w150 electrical issues