1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

body trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body trim removal

Gonna do a new paint job on the 85 at some point this summer. My truck has wide body moldings or trim pieces (crome with black inserts ) around the whole truck down near the bottom Does anyone around here know how I go about taking these off? do i need a special tool? Thanks

Old 06-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Klokworx
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for fender flares they should be screwed inside the wheel wells. the trim on the doors and such should only be stuck on with 2 sided tape

Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

I'm pretty sure we're not talking about the same type of thing Klockworx. the molding's I'm talking about arn't fender flares and they definitly arn't stuck on with 2 sided tape, Guess I might have to try and post a picture of what I'm talking about.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are little plastic clips on it all. If I recall, the molding snaps off of the clips. You'll probably break some. Then to get the clips off, it will be pretty self explanatory. You have to knock them sideways and then down I believe.

The one on the cab corner just kind of twists off since there is only one metal tab holding it on.

Good luck with your paintjob.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Thank's Wontaccepthis you obviosly know what I'm talking about since you have the same things on your truck. I am gonna use the duplicolour paint shop stuff (laquer) to redo my truck (which right now is red and grey) I'm gonna replace the red on the truck with burnt orange and redo the side stripe in grey. The truck is basically rust and dent free just very badly faded so it should be fairly easy to redo. I just sprayed a door for a friend using a urethane paint and clear system and it turned out real good so I'm pretty confident I can do a good job.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM
psychodamagedboy

i cant´t explain it on english because my english is not so good (i´m from Germany) but maybe the photos i took will help you. One of my trim at the fender felt off, because the clips are broken downside.

Attached Thumbnails body trim removal-2sayzw2.jpg   body trim removal-op1aq9.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Klokworx
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

little bit different sorry if i got ya thinkin lol

Old 06-11-2013, 12:44 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Thank's for the pics, and thanks for the help guys, I'm a big believer in the fact that if one want's a nice paint job he should take off as much of the trim as possible, and especially because I'm gonna change the colours I dont wanna have to mask off the trim.

Quick Reply: body trim removal