1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'87 D250 318 w./Holley 6280 carb CHOKE question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM
NTrails
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 D250 318 w./Holley 6280 carb CHOKE question...

Can someone tell me where the wires for the Electric choke solenoid (on the driver's side) connect to? specifically the one that's attached to the end of the ram... I can't for the life of me get that choke to operate properly. The Choke Heater (or thermostat, on the passenger side) is working properly, as I have rigged it up w./a manual switch on the dash because the oil pressure switch never closes to provide power to it. So I just turn on the switch when cold starting the truck, and once it started, I turn it off. This is really only necessary when its VERY cold, as gravity alone is enough to close the choke plate with justa kick of the pedal before cranking the starter. It does however re-open immediately once you touch the gas pedal. That is why i need that Electric Choke Solenoid to be operating properly to boost up the idle until the motor warm up a bit. To this day, I have never seen that choke solenoid move an inch... neither in or out. Could I possibly have a bad, non-functioning solenoid? And if it were to kick out and boost the idle up a li'l, how does it know to retract when the motor is warmed up a bit? There has to be some varying ground source that decreases as the engine warms up, but I cannot find any. The wiring schematic shows no ground connection at all, so I'm assuming it is getting it's ground from being physically mounted to the carburetor.

Can someone please shoot me a reply as to how their choke is set up?? I am tempted to pull the whole thing offa there and mount a cable into the cab for a manual fast idle/choke. I've found several kits available (through Summit or JCW) for less than 20 bucks! That solution would work for me... just hoping the California SMOG Bureau will allow it at inspection time. the tech will never have to operate it, as the truck will be already warmed up when I bring it in for SMOG check.

Attached Thumbnails '87 D250 318 w./Holley 6280 carb CHOKE question...-1987-dodge-d250-engine-wiring.jpg  

Quick Reply: '87 D250 318 w./Holley 6280 carb CHOKE question...