1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrade the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM
jcruse64
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade the brakes

Touched on this in a thread I started on axles a little while back. The axle swap will wait a while, but my next project for the truck is a brakes upgrade. Per suggestions on the axle thread, definitely looking to go with the wheel cylinders for a 1 ton. Also buying the master cylinder and booster for a 1 ton. Going to do new rotors and calipers on the front. Just received my order from Inline Tubing for a a whole brake line kit in stainless steel. Hope to get into it and finish before waterfowl season starts.

One question I've not seen covered in threads here or elsewhere; I'm going with the suggestion to use the Chevy 1 ton wheel cylinders, as they are supposed to fit up, and are larger than Dodge. What year do I need to go with? On another board, one thread mention a problem with the way the fittings pointed out the back of the cylinder.

Also, any other suggestions for parts or add-ons, while I'm doing this project? Going to stay with drum brakes for now, but if I DO upgrade the axles, definitely keeping in mind to go to disc brakes.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

each brake system is made for a truck of a cirten weight. any change will change how it stops. i had 1982 250 HD RAM. the rear brakes would lock up some times, but i knew how it acted so no real trouble. then i was doing a brake job. and the rear 1 " wheel cyl was not available so i used a 7/8" then the rear didnt lock any more .

Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 PM
sls001
Captain

Dig around on Rock Auto and you might be able find them for a Dodge but I don't know if you will find any that will bolt-into your 9.25 axle.

The single best "bang for the buck" brake system upgrade is going to Hydro-boost brakes.

If you find the parts in a junk yard you could do the job for less than $300-$350. New parts your looking at $750 to $900 depending on who you go through.

The hydro-boost brakes will benefit both your stock axles and later with 1-ton axles w\or w\o rear disks

Old 10-20-2013, 02:43 PM
jcruse64
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback.

On the hydro boost upgrade, I've been reading on it over at RCC boards. Will read up some more, and will have some questions for you for sure, like these. Did you do yours with late 90's or newer equipment from a Dodge truck? Is this feature only found on 3/4 ton up on these trucks, including gas? Looks like the upgrades detailed over on RCC included pulling the master cylinder with the booster AND the power steering pump. Any need to swap steering gear box or wheel cylinders? Use a cooler for the system (I think this '93 W150 has a cooler).

Thanks!

Joe

Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

boy I hope this hydro boost upgrade you guys are talking about is a different setup than the one chevy used to have, I had an 83 gmc one ton with hydroboost brakes and it was about the worst braking system ever

Quick Reply: Upgrade the brakes