1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noisy Idle Speed Control Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Mopar Trucks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Idle Speed Control Actuator

1991 3.9L V6 D-150 auto. Just recently the ISC actuator has been making a lot of noise when I first turn the key and then when you turn it off and it repositions the throttle. I can actually feel it with my hand on the actuator (its like the actuator gears are meshing roughly) when I have my wife turn the key.

No driveability problems but I was wondering of anyone else had experienced this and it its even worth trying to clean it or just install new. It looks like a simple task but somehow I seem to make simple things a lot more difficult than they need to be lately so any advice would be appreciated.

Basically it almost makes a squeeling sound like it need to be lubed or something.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:12 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd just try cleaning it with some carb cleaner. Mine did that for at least a year before it failed. The new one is noticeably quieter.

If it fails, its not the end of the world. Just adjust the plunger out so that it idles slowly but surely when cold, and you'll be fine until you can acquire a new one. It might pull a little in gear, but that's ok.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Mopar Trucks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man, I just moved my 86 out of my shop and put the 91 in to work on it. I think the pinion bearing bad as well so it will be down for a while.

Quick Reply: Noisy Idle Speed Control Actuator