1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High Volume/Heavy Duty A/C Fan Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 PM
rnch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Volume/Heavy Duty A/C Fan Motor?

The A/C fan blower motor has died on my '85 Ram.

Is there a blower motor and/or squirrel cage available that will push more air (higher volume of air) thru the factory A/C system?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM
sls001
Captain

The biggest problem most often is the power\resistance problems between the fuse block, the blower resister, and the blower motor.

If you were to wire in a relay for the blower "high-speed" you would have much more hi-speed blower.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...r+motor+relays

Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you verified the motor is dead? could also have a bad fusible link. a/c heat stuff is powered by 1 fusible link. if you have power locks they would also share the same fusible link but otherwise they are all alone. otherwise no better motors or squirrel cages

Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
rnch

As it turns out I had 2 issues:

The old fan motor was so worn out it wasn't spinning nearly as fast as the replacement motor.

2. The foam gasket/seal between the blower box and the firewall was slowly drying up & crumbling after 29 years; has a couple of gaps I could shove my pinky finger thru.

After installing a replacement motor and using most of a tube of clear silicone calking, going around the blower plenum box from the firewall and schmearing up the old foam gasket, then allowing a couple of day's drying time, the volume of air coming out of the dashboard vents is MUCH better.

I still may try sls' high speed relay upgrade.

Quick Reply: High Volume/Heavy Duty A/C Fan Motor?