1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pressure Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 05:39 PM
91ram124
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Problems

I have a 1991 1/2 ton 4x4 with 5.2L motor. I have had the truck for about three years. The truck has always had a problem when it comes to a stop. It runs just fine and then when it is a operating temp and you come to a stop sign the oil pressure drops. It has always done this. Recently the problem has grown worse. When the pressure drops the motor almost and sometimes does die. My question is, is this a clogged oil pump screen, bad sending unit, bad pump, or a combination of the three? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Pressure Problems

You using the factory or an aftermarket gauge? My factory one failed to read pressure sometimes, even though it was running strong.
Anything over 15psi or so at idle is fine.

Old 10-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Chump
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Pressure Problems

If the engine is idling low or dieing at a stop than this will cause a low oil pressure reading. Correct the idle issue first before testing the oil pressure at idle. The only way to check oil pressure correctly is to remove the sender from the engine and thread in a mechanical test gauge and take readings at the specified RPM in your serice manual.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Problems