1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What you need for a 4 barrel swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:10 AM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you need for a 4 barrel swap

I just swapped out my old 2 barrel and lean burn system, on my 87 D100, during a restoration. Since I was new to the first gen Dodge trucks I had to do a lot of asking and searching to find out what you need to swap to a edelbrock 4 barrel and how to adapt your transmission kickdown linkage to a cable. I noticed most folks were using the Lokar throttle cable and kick down cable system, but I wanted to retain my stock throttle cable. So after some searching I found BPE (Bouchillon Performance Engineering). They have everything you need and a Kick down cable kit all in one Part # 3350. So heres the info.
Here is the link to the kit http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEtkdc.asp and here is the link to their instructions http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEtkdcInstructionsNEW.asp

First you need something to mount everything to. BPE makes a throttle cable mount that bolts onto your Eddy Carb. Part # BPE3395 which will mount your stock throttle cable and the new kickdown cable bracket
Name:  4barreladapt2.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  47.0 KB

Next you will need two parts to mount everything to your carb. First you need part # 1481 from Edelbrock which allows mopar style throttle cables to mount to the carb. Also, you will need the mounting plate that holds the kickdown cable to the carb, which is provided in the kit, and mounts on top of the Edelbrock part #1481 .

Name:  4barreladapt1.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  49.9 KB

On the underside you have everything you need to install from the kit. Mounting bracket, the arm for your kickdown that replaces the stock one, and the return spring and mount

Name:  4barreladapt4.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  37.3 KB
Name:  4barreladapt3.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  30.9 KB

here is a link to my Restoration thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ion-build.html

And here is a link to a slide show from beginning to now with notes
http://s115.photobucket.com/user/the...ml?sort=6&o=80

Old 10-06-2014, 01:43 PM
LowNSloan86

thank you in advance for when i have the time and money to do this!!!!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

edelbrock does NOT know how to jet a carb. 1. hint change only jets. OR rods at a time if you change both you cant guess what the change was. 2. hint change jets and rod to more like the size of OEM carter carbs. 3. if the jet does not come out easy dont force, that will strip the jet out. 4. hint there is a trick to get difficult jets out. take it all apart, get a small torch on the jet, when the color of the flame changes hit it with water. let it cool should work. i have done this only once, but it did work. But dont put the jet hard, just very lite tightness. and most edlbrock carbs have the rod with to much diff from the power step to the cruse step. hint check dia in the rods in an O.E.M. chrysler AFB.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
emnestor
Professional

Originally Posted by moe7404
edelbrock does NOT know how to jet a carb. 1. hint change only jets. OR rods at a time if you change both you cant guess what the change was. 2. hint change jets and rod to more like the size of OEM carter carbs. 3. if the jet does not come out easy dont force, that will strip the jet out. 4. hint there is a trick to get difficult jets out. take it all apart, get a small torch on the jet, when the color of the flame changes hit it with water. let it cool should work. i have done this only once, but it did work. But dont put the jet hard, just very lite tightness. and most edlbrock carbs have the rod with to much diff from the power step to the cruse step. hint check dia in the rods in an O.E.M. chrysler AFB.
Thanks Moe7404 great addition!

Quick Reply: What you need for a 4 barrel swap