1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

want more mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 06:18 PM
1992CTD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want more mpg

I have a 1992 dodge ram cummings 5.9TD (2WD) all stock just turned 200k miles <time for a valve adjustment>??. I would appreciate any help offered on increasing mpg and if it means more power, well than OK! I presently get 19-20 mpg. I hate to replace parts that are perfectly good....if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it. But I am willing to sacrifice $ and good parts for economy and power. For example I was thinking about air intakes but when I search all I come up with is for intakes 1994 and newer. So I reach out to all of the combined years of experiece of this great forum for HELP! any thoughts? TIA !

Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Disgorilla
Veteran
Default RE: want more mpg

Welcome to DF, Hell, I only get 14.8 mpg. I only wish I got 19-20mpg. As you said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Old 10-28-2005, 04:58 AM
Dodge4Life
Professional
Default RE: want more mpg

I would just buy some k&n filters and buy the right size pipes for your truck, it doesn't matter if its not exactly for your truck, and it will give you a little gas mileage, but i wouldn't expect much. I took my truck from 12mpg to about 15mpg on the highway just by removing the stock air cleaner and putting in a huge open k&n 14in x 4in filter. I was going to put in a new intake, but i am selling the truck now so i dont want to put any more money into it.