1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

82 ram 150 slant 6 4spd manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 PM
seppy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 ram 150 slant 6 4spd manual

hello, im trying to remove 4spd manual transmission and I cant seem to figure out how to remove the gear shift lever. ive got the rubber boot off and took out the upper most nut and bolt?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure if I am thinking of the correct dodge transmission assembly, but I have messed with most of them. This is what I seem to remember.
Its been a while, but as I recall, there is collar in the top of the transmission that wraps around the pivot ball of the shift lever. It is under spring tension, and acts as the socket in a ball and socket assembly. You will need to push that down. Once pushed down, the collar rotates and then pops out, freeing the shift lever. As I remember, it required a set of channel locks, beefy flathead screwdriver and a significant amount of cursing. Hopefully Im thinking of the correct transmission for you. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:28 AM
84Dodger

I have an 84 d150 slant 6 4 speed od (A833). my shifter is a side mounted one which was attached by 3 bolts. my process of dropping the tranny is as follows.... disconnected the 3 shifting rods from the tranny,
-removed all trim from inside the cab to give me access to the tranny hole and the shifter
-there you will see that there are 3 bolts attaching the shifter to the side of the tranny, and I simply removed those three bolts and worked the shifter up through the hole

Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 AM
seppy

yes thx guys for replies. 84 dodger mine is also the side mount and i did the same procedure to get it out. thx

Quick Reply: 82 ram 150 slant 6 4spd manual