1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:01 PM
norwee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trans question

I have a 1981 d300 with a 360 and 4 spd (granny). the fuel mileage is poor and I wondered what trans would bolt in and give me a bit better mileage.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:38 AM
The War Wagon
Professional
Question

You already HAVE the "bolt-in" option, so the best thing you can do, is make sure your clutch plate is good, engine tuned up, diff fluid is changed, etc., so you get as much friction reduced as possible.

What's your terrain? ANY sort of hills will kill your mileage, regardless of transmission. Is it a DD in stop 'n' go traffic? Interstate cruiser? Do you haul anything IN it - or WITH it? What's your axle gear ratios? What transmission do you currently have? ALL these factors will affect mileage, and provide clues of where to look for savings.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 AM
RobertLim1983

I have an 1984 D250 with the 3.7 liter and I cannot get it to engage in any gear. I replaced the torque converter thinking that was the problem, but now I'm getting ready to replace the filter and fluid

Quick Reply: trans question