1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

88 W150 318 budget around 4thousand

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 AM
soldier233rd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 W150 318 budget around 4thousand

The truck just clocked over 100,000. I believe everything is still stock on it that i can tell. With this budget I'm looking to do just the mechanicals, bodywork will come later.

It will be a daily driver that will also tow my fishing boat. Mainly on asphalt and hard pack roads with an occasional outing in the mud and sand. I travel frequently from Virginia to South Carolina so interstate cruising is a must. I am looking for the best of both worlds, more horsepower than the stock LA engine and better gas mileage than I'm getting now only about 10 mpg around town.

Do I stay with the LA engine rebuild it or go with a new crate. Maybe move up to Magnum engine. Do I ditch the TBI and go carbureted or maybe fuel injection? Whatever set up I go with will have headers and a good dual exhaust.

I will stay with an automatic transmission. So there again should I rebuild or replace my current transmission. I believe it is a 727 3 speed, for the gas mileage should I look for something with a overdrive or maybe even a new five-speed. I will also be replacing the auto hubs with manual hubs.

Thanks for all the advice or suggestions that can give me. I have plenty of time to prepare for this build as it will not start until after the first of the year.

Bobby

Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM
The War Wagon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

That's about a fifth of the way to a complete overhaul!

Ask me how I KNOW...

Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Swap in a 5.9 and a 46re from a second gen truck. More power better fuel economy and overdrive. You will have to do some moding to the fuel system and you will need the wire harness and pcm but well worth the work in the end.

Quick Reply: 88 W150 318 budget around 4thousand