1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1983 W150 Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:48 PM
kyle3194
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 W150 Rear Main Seal

So today I was driving the pickup home after I had fixed the pressure switch issue, and after goosing it a littler harder than normal off of the line, the pickup sort of stalled at around 45 mph. I let off the gas, then it went back in fine. I ran it for about another 10 minutes before I got home, then slowed down and sped up to 45 a couple times and it stalled out 2 out of the 3 times. I also noticed, when I parked, that it was leaking oil badly. Like quite significantly... so after looking at it, I think that its probably the rear main that broke loose or something to that effect. I'm sure that the stalling and the oil leak are related, and I was hoping for some insight on what it could be. My current plan is to pull the motor and replace the rear main, but other input would be greatly appreciated because it is just a guess at this time. Boys, it's been a really rough day...

Thanks for any help in advance,

Kyle

Old 09-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

A rear main is not going to stall the motor. Unless all the oil runs out and it seizes. It can be changed in the truck but it's bit of a challenge. Look at the back of the intake manifold where it seals to block, the gaskets have been know to leak bad.

the pickup sort of stalled at around 45 mph. I let off the gas, then it went back in fine.
Is it sluggish/dying or like killing the ignition?

Old 09-14-2015, 11:20 PM
kyle3194
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, it does not feel like its a fuel/air issue. It almost feels like its in the transmission. When it hits around 45, causes a pretty significant lurch feeling. Could there be something that got in the bell housing and could be causing both of these issues? Like something possibly shearing? I also remember going over a pretty bumpy patch of road when this happened too. Something could have been jarred loose I suppose.

And thinking back on it now, it seems like my oil leak was coming from farther up on the motor. It is still below the valve covers, but not much farther than that I could see it starting to drip. May just be something that I need to dive into, but I'm gonna be a little short on time over the next month and was thinking suggestions on here could help. I've done a small amount of engine work in the past, but I haven't had a whole lot of experience. I don't have a problem diving into this truck, hell I bought it for $300, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things.

Thanks for your help Moparite.

-Kyle

Quick Reply: 1983 W150 Rear Main Seal