1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater problems galore!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:18 PM
RoyalGorgeD250
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater problems galore!!!

85 D250 (318, 435, D60 with utility bed ... still ).

I can't find the heater control valve under the hood or the dash (looking thru the glove box opening) and I have heat continuously, which isn't bad right now here in the foothills of CO , but I want to find it or put one in for next summer.

According to an online repair manual from my local library the valve is cable controlled but I think that's missing too.

The truck was used on a farm in S.E. CO for an unknown number of years and the owner may have just pulled it all instead of replacing it.

Thanks for any help.

Budd

Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Those valves are notorious for leaking (or sticking). It was probably removed along with the cable. Look on the back of the heater temp control and see if the cable is there and where it leads to. It may have been cut.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:36 AM
RoyalGorgeD250
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Those valves are notorious for leaking (or sticking). It was probably removed along with the cable. Look on the back of the heater temp control and see if the cable is there and where it leads to. It may have been cut.
Yep, my 79 D150 had a leaky cable controlled valve but NAPA, AutoZone, and O'Reilly's all show only a vacuum controlled valve which is about $10 at my local O'Reilly's before my military discount.

If that's true, and I suspect it is because I'm having a hard time getting a consistent idle rpm setting, I'd like to put it in the correct valve as a standard choke control cable can really only pull and tends to push like a wet noodle as I found out when I changed an 88 Jeep Cherokee (4.0, Renix, 5 speed 4X4, 3.07 axles) to an open cooling system from a closed system (drops engine temps about 30 degrees).

Budd

Quick Reply: Heater problems galore!!!