1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 05:15 PM
tomtomtomtom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying

Hey everybody I've recently gotten into pick ups (I've always been into old aircooled Vw). This old truck has been in my neighborhood sitting at a gasstation for a couple years now. Thought I would go check it out. I've always thought it was pretty sweet. Got some nice patina and sweet pinstriping. Clearly it's a work truck so it's rough but seems solid. everything underneith is pretty rusty. But no cracks in the frame, at least no where obvious.

Can I get your guys opinion on the truck if it's worth working on. I'm not trying to do much to it. If I cane spare these axels it'll be ideal I really don't want to tackle that. If i can't get the motor to run I'm interested in swapping in a diesel. Space is limited in the driveway and I'm not trying to spend too much the vision really is a beater to take off road.

That being said. How much would you guys offer to pay for this truck. I left a $500 offer. 700 with the plow not really interested in it right now though. Also what's some of the first things I would need to tackle to get this thing in good shape

Thanks for the time
Tom

Attached Thumbnails Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying-img_5484.jpg   Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying-img_5485.jpg   Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying-img_5486.jpg   Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying-img_5487.jpg   Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying-img_5488.jpg  

Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying-img_5489.jpg   Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying-img_5490.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 05:17 PM
tomtomtomtom

Really don't understand why they keep coming out upside down, they did the same on another forum but hopefully its not to hard to view. thanks again everyone

Old 02-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

More info would be nice! Like the year motor trans, does it run/drive ok, etc... Hard to see pics especially when they are upside down.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:51 AM
zcg4755
Professional

How are the wheel wells and rockers? Any rust?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:58 PM
The War Wagon
Professional
Exclamation

AUUUGGGHHHHHH! Earthquake damage!!!

Hey - it posted RIGHT-side up for me!

THAT said, it's clearly a plow truck that has been beat all to hell. If you're just going to wheel it until it dies, that eliminates worrying about the bodywork.

I note it's also not currently inspected, which throws up a whole 'nother set of concerns, none of which can be spoken too, until a more thorough inspection of running gear, lights, suspension, BRAKES, and the like, are done.

And finally, since it IS a plow truck, that tells me it's up here in the frozen tundra somewhere, having been exposed to three decades plus of ROAD SALT, for which Gen.1 Dodges were NEVER built to endure (ask the man who had to restore a local truck that wasn't as rough-looking as THIS truck is). Swiss cheese frame rails, rockers, suspension components, & floorpans can all be expected, as well as corroded fuel & brakes lines. You need to either be a FABULOUS fab man to fix it all, know some guys who are and owe you favors, OR... be independently wealthy... in which case, why aren't you buying a truck in AZ, & having it shipped to you?

It's NOT an impossible task, and if you're getting the truck for free or cheaper, you can probably restore it without filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy - particularly if you're in no hurry (My RC was free, and it only took 9 years to get it road/offroad-worthy ).

Unless it has something like, a PERFECT interior, and a freshly & completely rebuilt engine and/or transmission - something that will get you hundreds to thousands of dollars ahead of the curve on its restoration - I'm thinking... PASS.

Unless it's going to be a parts truck for the ACTUAL truck you're restoring.

Quick Reply: Opinion on 1st gen I'm interested in buying