1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crazy brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:50 AM
out of my mind
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy brake issue

OK, I just put new drum brakes on my 1987 W100 4WD. I noticed as I was going to work that the brake lights now stay on all the time. I can pull the brake lever with my foot and the lights go off, but as soon as I let off the gas pedal, I can feel the brake pedal being pulled down like someone is applying the brakes. I have never had this issue before and some help would be awesome.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Billybob09

Sounds like your e-brake cable is beginning to freeze up. I had the same issue and that's what it turned out to be. I cut the cable and all issues went away. So i replaced them and still have had no problems since.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I can pull the brake lever with my foot and the lights go off, but as soon as I let off the gas pedal, I can feel the brake pedal being pulled down like someone is applying the brakes.
Are you saying the pedal goes down by itself? If so your brake booster is going.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:35 AM
out of my mind

BillyBob09, I did notice that I had some play in the emergency brake pedal. I never use these at all, so I can just crawl under the truck and cut that line? Or does that have to be done inside the drum brake

Quick Reply: Crazy brake issue