1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A couple questions about an '88 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Febastian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple questions about an '88 Ram

Hi, new to the forum here. I've tried searching but haven't found anything quite answering a question I have about shift points. I just got an '88 Ram LE150 (D150) with 318 and 3 speed auto transmission(not sure which one).
I found a thread that mentions a shift point around 22mph and was wondering if that was actually correct for first to second. It sounds like the RPMs are a little high by the time it shifts under regular acceleration (not flooring it), but there's no tach, so not sure what RPMs actually are. The switch from second to third is in the 30-35 range and sounds pretty right, maybe slightly high, but I don't think so.
For all intents and purposes let's say this is my first Dodge, though 20something years ago when I was learning to drive, we had a Rampage. ::cough:: Basically I have no real clue how it's supposed to act and sound with the shifts, most of my vehicles have been manuals, and it's been a long time since I've been in an auto with only 3 gears that isn't glass packed and loud as all get out at low RPMs, hehe.
I'm also curious if there's a way to identify the transmission, such as by pan shape or something. I read there's supposed to be a tag under the hood, and there are a couple, but none say anything about the transmission.
I'm also curious about the rear end gearing. Judging by pictures I've seen it's an 8 1/4, but the only tag on it seems to say 2737, which I can't find a meaning for. It is grimy, so could be something different. One thing I found had different ratios, but nothing that would look like that. Possibly 2.71, but grime doesn't make a 1 look like a 3. ::shrug::
Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Hard to determine shift points without vital info (rear end gear, tire size). The kick down linkage effects that also as does throttle position. Your trans should be 727A.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Febastian

Originally Posted by Moparite
Hard to determine shift points without vital info (rear end gear, tire size). The kick down linkage effects that also as does throttle position. Your trans should be 727A.
The tires on it are 235/75R15. (The door calls for 205/75R15)
As far as rear end gear, if that tag doesn't mean anything, I don't know. I will look around again to see if there's something else that might say.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM
emnestor
Professional
Default shift points

The tag is correct and you have the very high 273 gears. Most likely your trans in that setup is the A999. It is basicaly a 904 torqueflite with a lock up torque convertor. Like an overdrive. The shift points from 1st to second can get annoying. Just adjusted mine last night. when heavy on the pedal the shift point seems to be fine, but at a slow cruise it seems to take for ever to shift from 1st to second. the remedy is to take some pressure of the trans via the shift linkage. create just a little more slack in that linkage ( a little goes a long way) and that should fix you up.

Quick Reply: A couple questions about an '88 Ram