1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

comments and thoughts on 82 D 150 timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 03:26 AM
flipmann
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default comments and thoughts on 82 D 150 timing issue

Hey there my fellow Dodge lovers. Got a question for y'all 1982 Dodge D 150 3.7 Liter slant 6 4 speed tranny.
Okay I'm having trouble getting to idle right. I checked the timing with a timing light and it was off set it at 15 degrees and still won't idle without dying.
Moved the distirbutor until the idle smoothed out then put timing lite back on it the only way I can get it to idle is to have the timing set at almost 23 degrees it calls for 12 to 15 degrees. I've been driving it at 23 degrees for almost 3 weeks with no issue but it will stall on me in 4th gear. Anybody got any ideas

Thanks for the help from Texas

Flipmann

Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 PM
horatio102
Champion

You had the vacuum advance disconnected right?

Cap/rotor in good shape?
How's the idle mixture?
I'm not well versed on carbs, know enough to get by but I've only owned two carb'd vehicles in my life.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:35 AM
flipmann

I don't know if I had the vaccum line disconnected or not I started getting a lot of jerking so I moved it again and it seems to be better I think it the spark control computer not sure yet any more ideas will be helpful thanks for ur time

Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm not familiar with 6's but you may want to verify tdc on the balancer. The outer ring can move showing wrong timing.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:24 PM
flipmann

Hey Moparite thanks for the heads up I did check it and it was tight. I've moved the distrubuter back a little bit since I last posted. I was getting a lot of jerking driving down the road. I didn't put the timing light back on it tho just moved it to where it sounded better at idle, but I drove it for about 10 miles and noticed jerking again in 2nd gear at top end of gear, but when I first moved it it was fine and the dis. bolt is as tight as i can get it so not sure if the clip the bolt goes in is bent or if it is something elsa causing the issue. The cap rotor and dis are all new. Truck as been sitting up since 08 so just trying to work all kinks out. I'm thinking it might be the spark control computer not sure tho. I seen a post on here when I first joinied and a guy was having the same kinds of problems but I couldn't find out what he finally found out

Old 05-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Need to check it with #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Then see if the balancer reads the same. You can also put the timing light on the coil wire to watch if it drops out. If so it could be the computer.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:24 PM
flipmann

Okay thanks fella's I'm fixing to go out and see what I can find out but first I'm going to try and find that post I was talking about thanks for all the help and I'll keep you posted

Quick Reply: comments and thoughts on 82 D 150 timing issue