1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1984 prospector..Low Voltage from alternator, head lights flickering

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Moparguy1981
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 prospector..Low Voltage from alternator, head lights flickering

Okay,
so I just bought this old truck from a local site.
It has a big edelbrock 4 barrel carb, and the motor seems to be in good condition
Probleminstalled new alt) At times the truck as a sudden drop of power, meaning it almost goes dead, the radio will flicker, head lights flicker, and when i check the output at the alt it is only putting out 12.4 volts.. At the battery while running it is reading 12.8 volts. I know its a draw somewhere. I did notice the fuse panel/ fuse box has a slot that was melted. The previous owner had installed a kill switch by splitting the grounds .. The next day after I bought it while i was driving i looked down and the kill switch was smoking. Obviously the truck went dead.. I replaced the coil and the brain on the fire wall.. It then started just fine...But it still has flickering lights and low charge coming from the alt output and low volts at the battery while running.
Please give some direction as to where to start, and what to check.. I guess i should replace the fuse box first right??