1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Service body swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 PM
chickenfarmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service body swap questions

Hey guys, so I bought a service body for a smokin deal this week and I'd like to put it on my truck. There are a few small issues though.. The body is meant for a cab and chassis truck so it is too long. The distance from front of service body to wheelwell center in 60"; whereas the distance from front of my pickup box to axle center is 54". So I'm thinking about stretching the truck 6". This seems like it would be pretty easy, frame, driveshaft, fuel and brakelines. Am i missing anything? Seems to me like the brake lines will be the hardest part.
The other issue is that the service body is meant for a dually, it looks like i can get some adapters to solve that problem.
Has anyone done any of this? If someone has a service body I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have. Thanks guys!

Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

what about maybe just shortening the service body 6". cutting the frame and lengthening it seems like it would be more costly and time consuming than just shortening the box. brake lines are super easy compared extending the frame/driveshaft. you would also need to get the driveshaft balanced after you cut and extended and even then it is likely better to get a new tube just so it is a solid 1 piece drive shaft which is likely what is going to cost the most out of the swap. or could you maybe move the wheel wells on the service box forward 6". it looks like there is some space at the front a bit

Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 AM
chickenfarmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input, I think I'll start by moving the wheelwells forward as far as I can and see how that looks. Your definitely right, the easier the better!

Quick Reply: Service body swap questions