1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clutch Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM
barebonez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Mystery

20JAN19

Need advice re: 84/85 W100 225/6 435 xmission

The clutch is beginning to slip. I removed the clutch, and everything looks OK! Pressure plate, friction disk, and flywheel clean no oil and some wear.

There is very little (and now no) room for adjustment between the throwout and the fingers. There is clutch chatter in reverse unless care is used.

It's an 11" diaphram clutch coupled with a recessed flywheel.

I was under the impression that the diaphram clutch was coupled a flat flywheel and was used with an 833 transmission.

In '85, the 225 had two Coil Spring clutches, a 10" and an 11". Didn't they use the recessed flywheel?

Regarding the clutch: In a relaxed state. the bolt-up distance between the clutch housing
and the flywheel is about 1/4". It seems to me that it should be about 1/2" to 3/4". were the flywheel flat then this should cause the diaphram fingers to retract and allow for throwout adjustment. The flywheel recess is about 3/4" and the total friction plate is, with some wear, 0.300".

It looks like a hack job!

Any response appreciated.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't remember ANY 225 with a recessed flywheel, and I have had a few.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:47 PM
barebonez

I bought the truck 18 yrs ago, and that's what came with it! It's a 130T for an 11" clutch with offset crank holes. I'll take it out and measure the diameter too. I wonder if this was a replacement engine from an older truck. I should look at the manufacture date on the block.

I have three options:
1. Get a used flywheel from a junk yard ....... and hope it's the right one. I have yet to find an after market.
2. Machine the bosses of of the flywheel that I have, essentially making it flat.
3. Find a clutch that fits!

I like #1.

I appreciate your response, thanks.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:45 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

If you've got an '84 then it should have the mechanical clutch, I think (my '84 W150 with the same engine/transmission does, at least). The mechanical clutch has an adjustment that can be made on the outside of the clutch housing, where the Z-bar couples to the pedal rod, that will increase or decrease the clutch space when you press & release the pedal. Try adjusting that and see if it fixes your problem, before you bother tearing everything apart and start throwing parts at it.

Quick Reply: Clutch Mystery