1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1988 d100 318 tbi.truck runs perfect. It’s just a long cranking. Any ideas why??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Sammys68charger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
where are you testing fuel pressure? i am pretty sure you should be seeing higher readings than that. 14.5 is acceptable to run but the pump should probably be putting out 40-60psi and just returning what isn't needed. you probably shouldn't be loosing fuel pressure immediately. there is a good chance the check valve in the pump has failed.
I removed the fuel filter and installed the pressure gauge at the fuel filter location. And never got over 14 1/2. I will Install a complete new fuel pump today. And get back with you. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Sammys68charger

Originally Posted by Sammys68charger

I removed the fuel filter and installed the pressure gauge at the fuel filter location. And never got over 14 1/2. I will Install a complete new fuel pump today. And get back with you. Thanks for your reply.
. I installed new fuel pump. And replace the rubber hoses going to the top of the fuel pump assembly. And still eight or nine revolutions before it starts. I’m starting to think it’s just going to be one of those vehicles that won’t crank right up. Now if you put gas down the throttlebody it will hit instantly.

Last edited by Sammys68charger; 03-10-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

there is a possibility it might be the fuel pressure regulator. you could maybe test the pressure on your 89 to see if the pressure drops off immediately after shutting it off.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Sammys68charger

there is a possibility it might be the fuel pressure regulator. you could maybe test the pressure on your 89 to see if the pressure drops off immediately after shutting it off.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. I switched it out at the same time as I did the pump. I gonna drive around for a day or two and see what happens. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Sammys68charger

Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. I switched it out at the same time as I did the pump. I gonna drive around for a day or two and see what happens. Thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply: 1988 d100 318 tbi.truck runs perfect. It’s just a long cranking. Any ideas why??????