1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help me figure out 318 engine emissions equipment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 03:56 PM
w100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me figure out 318 engine emissions equipment

Hello all. I recently got an 89 W100, 318/5.2 engine. I'm doing a tune up/inspection and trying to fix any issues I find. Right now looking at the engine emissions systems.

I'm looking for the EGR valve and solenoid, but can't find them... !

I found a hose (yellow in picture) coming from the rear of both exhaust manifolds in the engine, it looks like it was for the smog/air pump which goes into the exhaust... but instead of an air pump, I didn't see anything, and the hose just goes out to the catalytic converter. So is exhaust just going to the cat, or coming up from the cat to the engine? Now I'm wondering why there was anything coming up from the cat, the hoses are old so it was old alteration...?

Also wondering about green line above, it comes from firewall, goes through some kind of valve, and ends up going into the front of the engine? Heater or something?

Also I'm looking for the MAP sensor, but don't see it or recognize it, or the wiring, under the carb. Can anyone point it out to me?

I also found some thing coming out of the engine, it's at rear on passenger side of distributor. It has a brass part going into engine with a rubber thing coming out, and is open at the end. It's sooty and grimy at the opening. Does this go to anything? What is it?

I've been looking at manual, but this looks modified from stock and I'm stumped. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by w100; 06-29-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:12 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

air pump bypass lol. heater control valve. it stops hot water from entering the heater box when you got the a/c on. you won't find a map sensor on a carb.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Someone removed the throttle body injection, intake manifold and distributor. In doing so removed a lot of the stock emissions stuff. The engine is not running off a pcm anymore so emissions stuff won't work anyway.

Quick Reply: Please help me figure out 318 engine emissions equipment