1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TBI 318 seems to shut off when warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 12:03 PM
89D150
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TBI 318 seems to shut off when warm

Good afternoon all... I have a 1989 Dodge D150 with TBI 318... all original except 2.25 dual exhaust and a fuel cell with airtex 8094 fuel pump with 77,xxx miles... I went to work and truck drove fine. Went to fueling station after work, filled up, started truck up and it started to run rough and spit and sputter and die... I cleaned my fuel filter before the pump and purchased a new OE fuel filter and replaced that as well... fuel pressure and flow checks out fine. Once the truck cooled down, it seemed to idle and run ok so I tried driving it home. It started the spitting and sputtering again but I was able to limp it home. I let it sit overnight. Started up and ran fine again until it started to get warm. I let it sit for awhile and I used my Snap On MT2500 scanner and i was able to produce a low temp thermostat code and a code 36 for air switching valve circuit. I then cleared the codes and ran the truck for 3 different key cycles and the only code coming back is for the air switching valve circuit. When I tested the solenoids and relays, the only one that was not making any clicking noise was the middle solenoid in the trio of solenoids on the rear of the passenger side valve cover... the middle solenoid is the ASRV solenoid and the other ones are EGR and purge... also, the Idle Speed Control motor makes a very loud racket when activated and seems to not be smooth when its engaging or disengaging, kind of like its sticking a little, so I will replace that as well. I took the truck off the road so I can get it right because I figured while it's down, might as well do a full tune up with Accel ignition coil, change the thermostat, and change the coolant temperature sensor. Would the ASRV or Idle Speed Control cause it to not run well when warm? I was also thinking the ignition coil was getting ready to go out. It looks original. Any other things I could be missing? Thanks for your time.

Quick Reply: TBI 318 seems to shut off when warm